Knology is seeking a part-time Bookkeeper for about four hours a week to join our diverse team of research social scientists, journalists, and educators. The ideal candidate for this 1099 position has experience with Quickbooks Online and non-profit bookkeeping.
Knology Ltd. is a 501 ©(3) charitable organization that produces practical social science for a better world. Consisting of over 30 social scientists, writers, and educators, we work at the intersection of knowledge and practice, conducting research that untangles complex social issues and building partnerships with organizations across a variety of governmental and non-profit sectors to advance practical, evidence-based interventions. Our research seeks to improve human relationships with the environment, to help cultural institutions become agents of social change, to create more effective media, and to improve individual and collective wellbeing. We study these four topics by examining people's behaviors and the broader systems that shape our actions and choices. We are committed to research in the service of practice, and our work process is built on equity, transparency, and deliberation. By collaborating with experts, leaders, decision-makers, and practitioners across a range of academic, governmental, and nonprofit contexts, we ensure that the knowledge we develop is used and shared in ways that can most effectively serve the public good.
Our website provides a comprehensive overview of our current work.
Under the direction of the CFO, the Bookkeeper serves an important role in the oversight of Knology's operations, performing all tasks as required to maintain the accounting and financial functions of the office. The Bookkeeper is responsible for all bookkeeping, including the generation of financial reports, accurate data entry, and review of invoices for accuracy. The Bookkeeper also manages payables and records as required to support the CFO and COO.
The Bookkeeper is responsible for timely tracking of invoices and payables, maintains all financial records (digital files), reconciles bank accounts and financial transactions, ensures accounting software is up to date, and produces reports as directed by the CFO for review by the COO and program managers to support project oversight needs. We refer to this position as our stabilizer, a person who keeps our work on an even keel through oversight of spending and income to aid in forecasting the organization's financial future. By demonstrating personal integrity and a professional sense of order, the Bookkeeper contributes to a positive work environment, and ensures that the organization's work is accomplished in an efficient and effective manner.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Consolidation of time reports and reconciliation of payroll in the accounting software;
- Process Accounts Payable, prepares checks and financial back-up for CFO and COO;
- Record and monitor Accounts/Grants Receivable through the accounting software system;
- Production of monthly reports on P&L, cashflow, project cost to date, and outstanding receivables within 5 business days after receiving monthly time and effort, and invoice information;
- Review and check invoices and support documentation for all projects for review by CFO and COO;
- Record cash receipts and deposits, records of deposit;
- Maintenance of all electronic copy accounting records and files;
- Complete all necessary journal entries to the General Ledger as directed by the CFO;
- Prepare monthly budget reports within 5 business days for management review;
- Produce custom reports on request;
- Prepare bank account reconciliation/s; reconciliation of general ledger accounts; credit card statements, Grant Status Reports; and financial statements for review by CFO and COO;
- Prepare reports as directed by the CFO for annual audit & interface with auditors as required;
- Prepare year-end financial statements for review by CFO, the COO and the auditors: and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree or Certificate in Quickbooks training
- Demonstrable understanding of cost controls and account management systems for non-profits;
- Proficiency with Quickbooks Online and Excel for non-profits;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Willingness to engage in collaborative work in a fast-paced work environment;
- Be incredibly detail oriented; and
- Mastery of the English Language.
Knology has offices in Manhattan and has adopted a hybrid work model with staff located across the US. This position will be completely remote.
Knology is committed to building a diverse, inclusive organization that respects and values all people. Our work environment is open to all employees, and we are committed to ensuring equal treatment regardless of race, color, ethnicity, age, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital, parental, or family status, military status, disability, or any other classification protected by law.
To apply: Submit the following to Laura Tietjen, email@example.com
- A résumé or CV
- A cover letter that addresses your interests in the position, relevant work experience, and primary qualifications.
We will accept proposals from individuals or organizations capable of providing bookkeeping services for between $45-65 per hour.