Fundraising and Development - Part-time (or full-time in combination with research support responsibilities)
Knology is hiring a fundraising and development professional to join our collective of social scientists, writers, and educators. This position will take a leadership role at Knology and will work closely with the CEO, COO, communications manager, research area leads, and project managers to secure funding, and participate in all aspects of grant execution. The position reports to the CEO.
Overview of the Role
Knology has built strong partnerships and secured federal and foundation research funding. The successful candidate will build on our existing portfolio by helping us build the case for our work with foundations and other grant makers.
A part-time position will have primary responsibility for building a clear philanthropic strategy and overseeing all grants and funding efforts, including prospecting for new funders, prioritizing and leading potential funder communications, developing a funder retention strategy, writing LOI’s and grants, and generating targeted funder communications.
Individuals seeking a full-time position are welcome to apply, and should present their qualifications to provide research support for funded projects across any of Knology’s research areas: Biosphere, Culture, Wellness, Media, Behaviors, and Systems, or as a data analyst or technical writer.
The successful candidate will bring prior experience collaborating with social scientists, and have an appreciation for the value that research can provide to service organizations that seek to improve equity, justice, and a thriving biosphere. They will have a strong familiarity with foundation and corporate funding strategies, good time management skills, enjoy multitasking, and be able to work independently or collaboratively.
Fundraising & grant writing duties include but are not limited to:
- Develops a fundraising plan for expanding revenue streams and executes that strategy;
- Writes high-quality, concise, and compelling proposals and manages all aspects of preparation and coordinating grant application submission;
- Develops and manages a funding strategy and calendar of past, pending, and upcoming proposals;
- Cultivates and maintains relationships with donors and donor organizations;
- Liaises with and engages the Board in building philanthropic support;
- Researches, prepares and maintains a prospecting matrix with eligibility, requirements, and priority level, as agreed with the research leadership team;
- Collaborates with the team on development of logic models (illustration of project outcomes), program budgets, applications, and stewardship materials;
- Collaborates with the other staff to develop materials to support donor and prospect outreach and institutional communications (newsletters, web site, etc); and
- Actively monitors the life of funded projects to identify new areas of work that may be enticing to philanthropic organizations and grant makers.
Research responsibilities (for the full time position only) include:
- Supports the research leads to conceptualize and develop research and evaluation projects as a collaboration across Knology’s research initiatives;
- Supports research in one or more of the following ways:
- developing or identifying R resource code for conducting statistical tests common in social science research and evaluation; Or
- conducting in-depth qualitative research and analysis, Or
- mixed-methods research design and implementation
- Develops instruments for various research projects including surveys, interviews, focus groups, and observations, as well as recruitment protocols;
- Participates in and contributes to internal project planning meetings and meetings with partners; and
- Works on peer-reviewed journal articles and technical reports describing research and evaluation findings.
Desired experience includes:
- A personal commitment to social justice and environmental equity;
- Master’s degree or equivalent and 5 years of direct experience in fundraising for social science or policy research;
- Experience successfully building relationships with funders, soliciting local, regional and national foundations, and a proven track record of securing new foundation grants;
- Knowledge of procedures for private grant proposal submissions, funder selection criteria, and post-award funder expectations;
- Minimum 3-years experience working with government Notice of Funding Opportunities (NOFO)/Requests for Proposals and grant procedures;
- Ability to proactively manage efficiencies in grant proposal development to meet deadlines and funding goals, and manage multiple priorities in a professional workplace;
- Demonstrated excellence in writing that is persuasive, clear, concise, and on-brand for proposals/reports, preferably as a grant writer for a nonprofits working on systems transformation;
- Superior organization and project management skills including the ability to coordinate overlapping projects and deadlines, and excellent attention to detail;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to work independently to deliver on team goals and objectives;
- Fearless willingness to master grant application portals and applications systems, including Research.gov with its unique bugs and tribulations;
- Familiarity with a wide range of common computer software, including Macintosh OS, Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Zoom, and work management programs like Slack; and
- We particularly value both lived and disciplinary experience that complement our current team.
The pay range for the 0.5 FTE part-time position is $38,000 to $40,000 with access to the 401K, and flex spending opportunities. The salary range for the 1.0 FTE position is $68,000 - $72,000 pending experience and a benefits package including a subsidized health insurance plan, flex spending, paid time off, paid federal holidays, and 401K retirement plan with match contributions. This role could either be virtual or a hybrid of virtual and in-person.
Location: 40 Exchange Pl. Suite 1403 New York, NY 10005
Please note that Knology has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees. As a condition of employment, Knology employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
**To apply**: please submit a resume or CV, and two writing samples including one grant (redacted if necessary), to Laura Tietjen at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will review applications as they come in and continue until the position is filled.